A new on-demand transport service mobile application has been launched to provide Borderers in the Ettrick Valley and Bonchester Bridge areas with better access to public and shared transport.
‘Go Borders’ will begin operating on the existing 910 Hawick – Bonchester Bridge and 911/912 Ettrick Valley – Hawick/Galashiels services to provide increased and more convenient access to public transport.
The service will enable residents in areas which are not serviced by public transport routes access to on-demand transport through the ‘Go Borders’ smart phone app or the existing telephony service.
The specially-created mobile application shows real-time updates and allows users to view and book journeys in the matter of a few clicks whilst also tracking the vehicle along its route by viewing live arrival information.
Payment will then be made in the traditional way via cash or concessionary card on board the bus when passengers begin their journey.
The service has been created in partnership with Moovit, an Intel company, and leading ‘Mobility as a Service’ solutions provider. The Go Borders app is powered by Moovit’s technology, and the transport service is powered by Moovit On-Demand solution.
The Go Borders app is available to download on the Apple App Store or Google Play.
Passengers without a smartphone who are unable to use the Go Borders DRT app can also phone the Council on 01835 826753 to book their bus.
Benefits of the Go Borders app:
● Suggests the most efficient routes: Once a user launches the Go Borders app and inputs their destination, Go Borders will display the most convenient transport options depending on their target arrival time
● Enables users to book a Go Borders ride: Users can select Transit On-Demand to book a seat
● Directs passengers to a nearby pickup location: Once the ride is booked, passengers receive confirmation of a designated pickup location within a short walking distance
● Provides passengers with real-time shuttle tracking:
● While waiting for their ride, Go Borders users can track the approaching vehicle in real-time and view its ETA
● While travelling, users can view the route on the map, as well as the estimated time to drop off
● Enables future ride booking: Transport can be booked days in advance up to 4pm the day before departure
● Incorporates accessibility features: Members of the public with disabilities can easily navigate the mobile application and book journeys
The Go Borders mobile application also incorporates accessibility features, empowering people with disabilities to use public transport with more assurance.
The app is optimised with screen reading features for low vision users, including TalkBack/VoiceOver capabilities, identifies wheelchair-accessible routes and stations, and calculates step-free routes. The Go Borders app is also designed with optimised menus and buttons for those with hand-motor disabilities.