A yellow weather warning for rain which covers the whole of the Scottish Borders has been issued and is valid from 0600 on Thursday 19/10/2023 until 0600 on Saturday 21/10/23.
Storm Babet will bring a period of very wet weather to many parts of Scotland from Thursday to Saturday.
– Spray and flooding could lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures
– Where flooding occurs, there is a chance of delays or cancellations to train and bus services
– There is a small chance that homes and businesses could be flooded, causing damage to some buildings
– There is a slight chance of power cuts and loss of other services to some homes and businesses
– There is a small chance of fast-flowing or deep floodwater, and communities being cut off by flooded roads
While there is still some uncertainty in the detail, periods of heavy, prolonged and potentially disruptive rainfall are likely to develop on Thursday and continue in some places through to Saturday. Across central and southern Scotland, 20-40 mm of rain is expected fairly widely with a few places likely to see 50-60 mm. Across northern Scotland, 50-75 mm of rain is expected with the highest ground in the region likely seeing in excess of 100 mm. Separate amber and red warnings are in place for parts of northern and eastern Scotland where higher rainfall amounts are expected to lead to greater impacts. The rain will be accompanied by very strong easterly winds across parts of Scotland, which could exacerbate impacts.
Full details can be found on the Met Office Website